Viscosupplementation Industry Overview
The global viscosupplementation market size was valued at USD 3.76 billion in 2020 and is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 9.37% from 2021 to 2028.
The increasing demand for non-surgical treatments for osteoarthritis, the prevalence of lifestyle-induced disorders, and advancements in the development of hyaluronic acid-based therapies are some of the factors expected to drive the market. Viscosupplements available in the market have shown clinical efficacy and are proven to be the most effective treatment for knee osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis is a chronic painful degenerative joint disease and is the leading cause of chronic disability. The onset of the condition is mostly after 30 years of age, which may progress to develop into a disability after 10 years of diagnosis.
Gather more insights about the market drivers, restrains and growth of the Global Viscosupplementation Market
Estimates published by the WHO suggest that the global population aged 65 years and over is projected to increase from 7% in 2000 to 16% in 2050, which, in turn, will lead to a rise in the incidence of obesity and osteoarthritis. Thus, the global increase in the target population along with a growing preference for alternative treatment options for corticosteroid for joint pain management is expected to significantly propel the product demand during the forecast period.
The reimbursement scenario is likely to become favorable globally making treatment for osteoarthritis affordable. In the U.S., products, such as Orthovisc, Supartz Hyalgan, Synvisc, and others, are approved by the FDA as Class III medical devices to treat OA knee pain and are reimbursed by Medicaid, Medicare, and other state healthcare programs. France also has a well-defined reimbursement policy for viscosupplements. In France, out of the 13 products available for the treatment of knee osteoarthritis, 12 are reimbursed up to 65% by Social Security. Thus, favorable reimbursement policies with respect to the geriatric population are expected to offer growth opportunities to the key players.
Browse through Grand View Research's Medical Devices Industry Research Reports.
- Orthopedic Regenerative Surgical Products Market – The global orthopedic regenerative surgical products market size was valued at USD 4.0 billion in 2021 and is estimated to expand at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 3.9% from 2022 to 2030. Growing technological advancements, the prevalence of arthritis and other orthopedic conditions, orthopedic surgeries, and R&D activities are some of the key drivers of this market.
- Ambulatory Surgery Center Market – The global ambulatory surgery center market size was valued at USD 75.2 billion in 2018 and is estimated to register a CAGR of 6.1% over the forecast period. Increasing demand for minimally invasive surgeries, technological developments in surgical devices and equipment, and surgeons’ control over the choice of such equipment are some of the factors responsible for ASC market growth.
Viscosupplementation Market Segmentation
Grand View Research has segmented the global viscosupplementation market report on the basis of product, end-use, and region:
- Viscosupplementation Product Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2016 – 2028)
- Single Injection
- Three Injection
- Five Injection
- Viscosupplementation End-use Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2016 – 2028)
- Orthopedic Clinics/Ambulatory Surgical Centers (ASCs)
- Viscosupplementation Regional Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2016 – 2028)
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East & Africa (MEA)
Market Share Insights
- June 2019: Anika Therapeutics, Inc. showcased its new product Hyalofast, a hyaluronic acid-based scaffold for the repair of cartilages at International Cartilage Regeneration and Joint Preservation Society (ICRS).
- April 2018: Bone Therapeutics S.A. completed clinical trials for its product JTA-004 intra-articular injection for knee OA.
Key Companies profiled:
Some of the prominent players in the global viscosupplementation market include:
- Anika Therapeutics, Inc.
- Seikagaku Corp.
- Zimmer Biomet
- Smith & Nephew PLC
- Ferring Pharmaceuticals B.V.
- Lifecore Biomedical
- LG Life Sciences Ltd.
- Fidia Farmaceutici S.p.A
- F.Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd.
Order a free sample PDF of the Viscosupplementation Market Intelligence Study, published by Grand View Research.
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research, U.S.-based market research and consulting company, provides syndicated as well as customized research reports and consulting services. Registered in California and headquartered in San Francisco, the company comprises over 425 analysts and consultants, adding more than 1200 market research reports to its vast database each year. These reports offer in-depth analysis on 46 industries across 25 major countries worldwide. With the help of an interactive market intelligence platform, Grand View Research Helps Fortune 500 companies and renowned academic institutes understand the global and regional business environment and gauge the opportunities that lie ahead.
Corporate Sales Specialist, USA
Grand View Research, Inc.
Toll Free: 1-888-202-9519