Video Streaming Industry Overview
The global video streaming market size was valued at USD 59.14 billion in 2021 and is expected to expand at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 21.3% from 2022 to 2030.
Innovations such as blockchain technology and Artificial Intelligence (AI) are used to improve video quality. AI is playing an essential role in editing, cinematography, voice-overs, scriptwriting, and several other aspects of video production and upload. These innovations are anticipated to positively influence the growth of the market. Various video streaming solution providers are using AI to improve the content quality of videos. In the recent past, the popularity of such platforms over broadcast media such as YouTube and Netflix has increased considerably. In May 2016, Netflix implemented AI to create a superior personalized experience for its subscribed consumers.
Moreover, the rapid adoption of mobile phones owing to the growing popularity of social media platforms and other digital mediums for branding & marketing is anticipated to fuel the market growth.
Gather more insights about the market drivers, restrains and growth of the Global Video Streaming Market
The growing adoption of cloud-based solutions is boosting the market growth. This trend is majorly observed in North America and Europe. Ongoing innovations and technological advancements are expected to meet the growing users’ expectations for exceptional video quality, performance, and security. For instance, in April 2019, Akamai Technologies spotlighted its innovations in delivering digital experiences of high quality at the 2019 NAB Show (U.S.). The company showcased its advancement in live and on-demand media services such as cloud wrapper, direct connect, and cloud interconnects.
The rising adoption of digital media across various industries has resulted in the population’s inclination toward multiple streaming services. For instance, in November 2019, Apple Inc. entered the online video cascading industry by launching its TV+ service. In June 2019, Wowza Media Systems, LLC announced the launch of a complete range of professional services for video-related solution providers. Furthermore, in March 2019, Google, the subsidiary of Alphabet Inc., unveiled its cloud-based gaming console, Yeti, which features a game streaming service along with gaming hardware.
The increase in technological advancements and the number of service providers in the market pose a threat to the standalone streaming giants. For instance, in July 2019, AT&T Intellectual Property launched a new streaming service called AT&T TV to facilitate people watching television online.
In the education and academic sector, videos can be effectively used in webinars and courses to enhance teaching and learning processes. Visual recordings have a powerful impact on students’ ability to retain information. Therefore, universities, schools, and colleges are now creating multimedia content and delivering it in the form of video presentations. Factors such as easy access to educational video content, growing demand for mobile devices, and increasing availability of the internet are positively influencing the adoption of live video streaming services for educational purposes.
The COVID-19 pandemic placed more than one–fourth of the world’s population under lockdown. As millions of individuals remained locked into their homes, the online video streaming and entertainment services experienced a rise of around 10% in viewership during the lockdown. As a result, video streaming platforms such as Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, YouTube, and Disney+ registered a spike in the viewership worldwide.
Browse through Grand View Research's Digital Media Industry Research Reports.
- Cloud Computing Market – The global cloud computing market size was valued at USD 368.97 billion in 2021 and is expected to expand at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 15.7% from 2022 to 2030. The introduction of emerging technologies such as Artificial Intelligence (AI) and machine learning enables cloud growth by empowering companies to tap into AI capabilities.
- Artificial Intelligence Market – The global artificial intelligence market size was valued at USD 93.5 billion in 2021 and is projected to expand at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 38.1% from 2022 to 2030. The continuous research and innovation directed by the tech giants are driving the adoption of advanced technologies in industry verticals, such as automotive, healthcare, retail, finance, and manufacturing.
Video Streaming Market Segmentation
Grand View Research has segmented the global video streaming market based on streaming type, solution, platform, service, revenue model, deployment type, user, and region:
Video Streaming Type Outlook (Revenue, USD Billion, 2017 – 2030)
- Live Video Streaming
- Non-Linear Video Streaming
Video Streaming Solution Outlook (Revenue, USD Billion, 2017 – 2030)
- Internet Protocol TV
- Over-the-Top (OTT)
Video Streaming Platform Outlook (Revenue, USD Billion, 2017 – 2030)
- Gaming Consoles
- Laptops & Desktops
- Smartphones & Tablets
- Smart TV
Video Streaming Service Outlook (Revenue, USD Billion, 2017 – 2030)
- Managed Services
- Training & Support
Video Streaming Revenue Model Outlook (Revenue, USD Billion, 2017 – 2030)
Video Streaming Deployment Type Outlook (Revenue, USD Billion, 2017 – 2030)
Video Streaming User Outlook (Revenue, USD Billion, 2017 – 2030)
Video Streaming Regional Outlook (Revenue, USD Billion, 2017 – 2030)
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- South America
- Middle East & Africa
Market Share Insights
- March 2020: Netflix registered an increase of more than 50% in the number of new installations of its mobile application in Italy and more than 30% of that in Spain.
- July 2019: Hive Streaming, a Sweden-based enterprise video distribution company, partnered with Kaltura, Inc., a U.S.-based software company, to provide customers with premium video delivery capabilities.
- March 2019: Google, the subsidiary of Alphabet Inc., unveiled its cloud-based gaming console, Yeti, which features a game streaming service along with gaming hardware.
- April 2018: Amazon.com, Inc. partnered with Google to bring official YouTube applications to Amazon’s Fire TV. These complementary services for television and other entertainment content are anticipated to pose a threat to existing key players in the market.
Key Companies profiled:
Some prominent players in the global video streaming market include
- Akamai Technologies
- Amazon Web Services, Inc.
- Apple Inc.
- Cisco Systems, Inc.
- Google LLC
- Kaltura, Inc.
- Netflix, Inc.
- International Business Machine Corporation (IBM Cloud Video)
- Wowza Media Systems, LLC
- Hulu, LLC
Order a free sample PDF of the Video Streaming Market Intelligence Study, published by Grand View Research.
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research, U.S.-based market research and consulting company, provides syndicated as well as customized research reports and consulting services. Registered in California and headquartered in San Francisco, the company comprises over 425 analysts and consultants, adding more than 1200 market research reports to its vast database each year. These reports offer in-depth analysis on 46 industries across 25 major countries worldwide. With the help of an interactive market intelligence platform, Grand View Research Helps Fortune 500 companies and renowned academic institutes understand the global and regional business environment and gauge the opportunities that lie ahead.
Corporate Sales Specialist, USA
Grand View Research, Inc.
Toll Free: 1-888-202-9519