The USA has many education programs that allow international students, including Indians, to apply for Undergraduate, Doctorate and Post-Graduate courses. According to reports, the highest international student populations in the US reported were from China, India, South Korea, Saudi Arabia and Canada, respectively.
Students who want to study in the US must obtain a study visa via the F1, J1 or M1 visa. However, applying for such permits involves lengthy processes. So, it is advised that you start taking strides in advance, at least three to five months before the course starts.
But what do you need before applying Requirements For Study Visa In USA? Read this blog to find out!
- Take the general entrance exams to study in the USA
One of the main requirements for applying visa is taking the entrance exams. These exams evaluate your skills and qualifications for the type you want to pursue in the USA. To apply for a USA student visa, Indian students need to pass the following general examinations –
- Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) for management programs
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) to pursue MA or MS courses
- Law School Admission Test (LSAT) for law programs
- Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT) for undergraduate courses
If you want to repeat these examinations for a course, you can prepare within 4-6 months. However, students must pass and apply before the deadline, following which they can apply for a student F1 visa.
- Results of Language Proficiency Tests
Passing language examinations is another main requirement for getting a USA student visa. These tests are mandatory as it tests your language and speaking skills that will meet the criteria to survive in the country. Some of the acceptable language tests include –
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)– This is another notable test that evaluates your reading, speaking and listening skills in English. The examination fee is around 13,625 (INR). Students can reappear on this examination without any limits. However, they need to wait for 12 days before retaking the examination.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS): Another alternative to language test which you can apply. It costs around 14000(INR). Also, students can take this test more than once.
- Pearson Test of English (PTE): It is one of the notable English language examination tests. Though very few universities accept this test, it remains one of the tops on their list. The examination fees cost around 13,300 (INR), and students can sit for this exam without limits.
Read More About- Sop And Lor Writing Services
- Apply to SEVP-Approved Institutions
An SEVP or Student Exchange Visitor Program is a part of the US National Security Investigations Division that acts as a bridge between the government and non-immigrants who come to the USA as students. That’s why a SEVP-approved institution can enroll students and provide the documents necessary for a USA student visa. In addition, you should always choose a SEVP-accredited educational institution. It guarantees that your degree is recognized by employers, professional organizations, other universities and government agencies worldwide.
As the USA has no centralized university application system, you must apply separately to each institution and fulfill the admission requirements. The SEVP manages students for the F (for academic studies) and M (for non-academic and vocational school) visas. Both SEVP and SEVIS use to monitor institutions and international students.
Furthermore, the universities will enroll you in the SEVIS system. Later they will send a SEVIS-generated document known as Form I-20 if you are eligible for F1 or M1 visas. Indian students can apply for F1 Visa, J1 Visa or M1 Visa. Such visas allow you to work when you study in the US.
- Choosing the educational institution
The USA offers excellent study programs in traditional yet globally recognized professional fields. Thus, choosing an institution will help you get the correct study visa. So before you choose an institution, you must look for some factors –
- Academic excellence: Ensure that the institution you want to join is known for its excellence
- Cutting-edge technology: The USA universities pride themselves on being at the forefront of technology. So you will have the opportunity of using such facilities even if your program does not involve science or engineering.
- Opportunity for Training and Research:Several graduate programs offer training and research opportunities in the USA. You would immensely benefit from having an opportunity as a research assistant or trainee by working on specific projects. Furthermore, the training lets you explore specific aspects of your study program.
- Flexibility in programs:Another notable factor of study programs in the USA is its flexible structure. The study programs are highly structured that meet specific requirements effectively.
- Long–term career prospects: Employers nowadays seek a wide range of knowledge, adaptability and experience. Individuals able to communicate, negotiate and conduct business across different cultures are primarily preferred. Such aspects allow the country’s education system to emphasize all aspects of giving students a successful career.
For More Information- Duolingo English Test Syllabus
- Pay the SEVIS fee
This fee must be paid at least three days before submitting the USA visa application. You will have to file an online paper for the SEVIS fee. You can access the USA Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) website to pay the fee. It allows different payment methods, including debit/credit cards, checks, international money transfers and more.
While making the payment, you must check your payment history. Some third-party sponsors can also help in paying the fees. Once your payment is done, print a payment confirmation from the website. This will require proof of payment during the USA student visa interview.
Getting a study visa in the USA might look complex. However, the process becomes simple once your application is done. The authorities let you choose the type of study visa you’re looking for. Also, some study visas bring perks of employment, living opportunities and on medical aid that lets you enjoy yourself like the normal residents of the USA. So, before you apply, check the requirements of a study visa in the USA and be careful while applying. It may involve a lot of paperwork, but it’s worth it in the end! Good luck!