Pharmaceutical Glass Packaging Industry Overview
The global pharmaceutical glass packaging market size is expected to reach USD 7.46 billion by 2028, according to a new report by Grand View Research, Inc. It is expected to expand at a CAGR of 8.8% from 2021 to 2028. The demand for pharmaceutical glass packaging is projected to be driven by the growth of the pharmaceutical industry in emerging economies, especially in the Asia Pacific region.
Pharmaceutical Glass Packaging Market Segmentation
Grand View Research has segmented the global pharmaceutical glass packaging market on the basis of product, drug type, and region:
Based on the Product Insights, the market is segmented into Vials, Bottles, Cartridges & Syringes, Ampoules.
- Bottles held the largest share of 35.1% in terms of revenue in 2020.
- Vials are expected to expand at the second-fastest revenue-based CAGR after ampoules from 2021 to 2028 owing to their high analytical performance and great sustainability. Vials are made from Type 1 borosilicate glass, which imparts the desired chemical resistance properties to the glass vials.
- Glass bottles used for pharmaceutical packaging are categorized into two types depending on the size, namely small bottles and large bottles. The large size glass bottles are used for the packaging of reagents as well as transfusion and infusion bottles.
- Ampoules accounted for the largest volume share of 74.7% in 2020 owing to their better analytical performance and suitability. Ampoules that are largely developed from glass are expected to witness the fastest growth over the forecast period, both in terms of revenue and volume, owing to the ability of glass to filter specific wavelengths, high microbiological control, and high chemical resistance.
Based on the Drug Type Insights, the market is segmented into Generic, Branded, Biologic.
- The generic drug type segment led the market and accounted for 71.2% share of the global revenue in 2020. The global market for generic drugs has witnessed growth in the past several years due to the increasing cases of chronic diseases, the aging population, and the rise in the expiration of drug patents.
- The growth of the biologic drug type segment is majorly due to the ability of biologic drugs to treat major chronic diseases, especially certain forms of autoimmune diseases and cancer. However, glass delamination and chipping that result from surface degradation are anticipated to lower the growth of primary glass packaging for biologic drugs.
- The generic drug type segment in North America is expected to witness higher growth than the branded drug type segment, both in terms of volume and revenue, as it is affordable, whereas the patent expirations are further going to lead the branded segment to expand at a moderate growth rate.
- In terms of revenue, six biologic drugs accounted for the top ten in 2016. The pharmaceutical industry is expected to largely benefit from biologics as they cater to therapeutic aspects that are underserved.
- The U.S. boasts the presence of pharmaceutical giants and therefore is expected to stay a core region for various business activities related to pharmaceutical glass packaging. The customer consolidation and increased competitive intensity in the country are expected to result in a significant increase in the volume of generic drug sales, thus causing rapid change in market dynamics.
Pharmaceutical Glass Packaging Regional Outlook
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Central & South America
- Middle East & Africa (MEA)
Key Companies Profile & Market Share Insights
Numerous pharmaceutical glass manufacturing companies are primarily concentrated in the developed regions such as Europe and North America, resulting in a well-established supply chain and production system in the regions.
Some prominent players in the global pharmaceutical glass packaging market include
- Corning Incorporated
- Nipro Corporation
- SGD S.A.
- Stölzle-Oberglas GmbH
- Bormioli Pharma S.r.l
- West Pharmaceutical Services, Inc.
- Schott AG
- Gerresheimer AG
- Shandong Medicinal Glass Co., Ltd.
- Beatson Clark
- Ardagh Group S.A.
- Arab Pharmaceutical Glass Co.
- Piramal Enterprises Ltd.
- ÅžiÅŸecam Group
- Owens-Illinois, Inc.
Order a free sample PDF of the Pharmaceutical Glass Packaging Market Intelligence Study, published by Grand View Research.
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research, U.S.-based market research and consulting company, provides syndicated as well as customized research reports and consulting services. Registered in California and headquartered in San Francisco, the company comprises over 425 analysts and consultants, adding more than 1200 market research reports to its vast database each year. These reports offer in-depth analysis on 46 industries across 25 major countries worldwide. With the help of an interactive market intelligence platform, Grand View Research Helps Fortune 500 companies and renowned academic institutes understand the global and regional business environment and gauge the opportunities that lie ahead.
Corporate Sales Specialist, USA
Grand View Research, Inc.
Toll Free: 1-888-202-9519