Calcium Carbonate Industry Overview
The global calcium carbonate market size was valued at USD 42.5 billion in 2021 and is expected to expand at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 5.4% from 2022 to 2030.
Increasing demand for paper from packaging applications and hygiene-related products like tissue paper is a major growth driver for the market. However, the product demand witnessed a decline in 2020 owing to the outbreak of the coronavirus. The pandemic caused widespread shutdowns across the globe, which significantly impacted the economy worldwide in the first half of 2020. With the ease in restrictions in the second half of the year, companies are putting in extra efforts to resume their operations, which is a positive sign for market growth.
Gather more insights about the market drivers, restrains and growth of the Global Calcium Carbonate Market
The U.S. has been a prominent destination for the product considering high demand from industries including paints and coatings, adhesives and sealants, and paper manufacturing. Paper is the largest application segment of the market and the U.S. is amongst the world’s largest paper manufacturers. Despite the pandemic that majorly impacted the country’s economy, the demand for calcium carbonate continues to persist, especially in the paper production sector owing to a growing emphasis on cleanliness.
The market for calcium carbonate has been hampered by supply chain instability, a slowdown in raw material production, trade movement slowing, and a decline in construction, vehicle, and paint and coatings demand due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Calcium carbonate demand is tied directly to numerous industries that are witnessing business uncertainty, such as automotive, paper, plastics, and building and construction.
A drop in paper consumption from corporate offices, schools, and universities, and the newspaper and printing industries has hampered the growth of the paper industry. However, new application categories including hygiene paper products, food packaging, medical specialty sheets, and corrugated packaging have provided opportunities for the business, which is driving up the demand for calcium carbonate, thus reducing the pandemic's impact to some extent.
According to the American Forest & Paper Association, the U.S. paper and wood products industry recorded high levels of tissue production in February and March 2020. The U.S. mills produced around 700 kilotons of tissue in March. Factors like lockdown and extra hygiene concerns led to panic buying and stockpiling of tissues and other cleaning products, thereby benefitting the market growth.
Despite the demand for calcium carbonate in the paper segment, the market witnessed a dip in 2021 owing to restricted transportation, a halt in manufacturing operations for non-essential industries, and the shutdown of mines across various regions. Several market players reported negative sales and profits for the first half of 2021.
For instance, LafargeHolcim, an integrated player in the market, reported a 14% profit fall in Q1 of 2020 as the pandemic caused building sites to shut down around the world. The company mines limestone produces calcium carbonate and uses it to manufacture cement, which is further catered to the construction industry. The company had to stop its mining activities in March 2020 in Meghalaya, India due to lockdown; however, the operations resumed after a couple of months as mining activities were allowed by the state government with the enforcement of social distancing norms and proper hygiene conditions.
Browse through Grand View Research's Advanced Interior Materials Industry Research Reports.
- Paints & Coatings Market – The global paints and coatings market size was valued at USD 146.17 billion in 2019 and is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 4.3% from 2020 to 2027. The market is expected to be driven by the increasing product consumption in the construction, automotive, and general industries application sectors.
- Adhesives And Sealants Market – The global adhesives and sealants market size was valued at USD 63.79 billion in 2021 and is expected to register a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 5.9% from 2022 to 2030. Changes in material consumption patterns, wherein materials, such as aluminum, metal, and paper, are being replaced by highly durable materials. This is anticipated to positively affect the products demand in packaging applications, over the next eight years.
Calcium Carbonate Market Segmentation
Grand View Research has segmented the global calcium carbonate market on the basis of application and region:
Calcium Carbonate Application Outlook (Volume, Kilotons; Revenue, USD Billion, 2017 – 2030)
- Paints & Coatings
- Adhesives & Sealants
Calcium Carbonate Regional Outlook (Volume, Kilotons; Revenue, USD Billion, 2017 – 2030)
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Central & South America
- Middle East & Africa
Market Share Insights
- February 2022: The Sherwin-Williams Company entered a deal with the city of Statesville, the state of North Carolina, and Iredell County to considerably increase its architectural coatings and paint manufacturing capacity and open a more extensive distribution facility in Statesville, North Carolina.
- January 2021: Gabriel Performance Products (Gabriel) was acquired by Huntsman Corporation from Audax Private Equity. Gabriel is a North American specialty chemical producer of specialized epoxy curing agents and additives for the sealants, coatings, composites, and adhesives end markets.
- August 2020: Celulosa Argentina announced an increase in its production of paper packaging by 30%. The company’s focus was on the food industry as the demand surged in this sector.
- November 2019: Imerys acquired three manufacturing facilities from EDK (a leading Brazilian producer of GCC). The acquisition was aimed at expanding the former’s footprint in South America and boosting its product portfolio for paints and coatings applications.
Key Companies profiled:
Some prominent players in the global calcium carbonate market include
- AGSCO Corp.
- Blue Mountain Minerals
- Carmeuse Lime & Stone Company
- GCCP Resources
- GLC Minerals, LLC
- Greer Limestone Company
- Gulshan Polyols Ltd.
- ILC Resources
- J.M. Huber Corp.
- Midwest Calcium Carbonates
- Mineral Technologies
- Mississippi Lime
- Mountain Materials, Inc.
- NALC, LLC
- Parchem Fine & Specialty Chemicals
- The National Lime & Stone Company
- United States Lime & Minerals, Inc.
Order a free sample PDF of the Calcium Carbonate Market Intelligence Study, published by Grand View Research.
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research, U.S.-based market research and consulting company, provides syndicated as well as customized research reports and consulting services. Registered in California and headquartered in San Francisco, the company comprises over 425 analysts and consultants, adding more than 1200 market research reports to its vast database each year. These reports offer in-depth analysis on 46 industries across 25 major countries worldwide. With the help of an interactive market intelligence platform, Grand View Research Helps Fortune 500 companies and renowned academic institutes understand the global and regional business environment and gauge the opportunities that lie ahead.
Corporate Sales Specialist, USA
Grand View Research, Inc.
Toll Free: 1-888-202-9519