Antibiotics Industry Overview
The global antibiotics market size is expected to reach USD 57.99 billion by 2028, according to a new report by Grand View Research, Inc. It is expected to expand at a CAGR of 4.5% from 2021 to 2028. High usage of antibiotics and inappropriate prescription behavior of antibiotic drugs worldwide are the major factors anticipated to drive the market. Moreover, rising awareness among patients and healthcare professionals and increasing involvement of regulatory bodies in the R&D activities of new therapies to treat infectious diseases are expected to propel the market growth over the forecast period.
Antibiotics Market Segmentation
Grand View Research has segmented the global antibiotics market on the basis of action mechanism, drug class, and region:
Based on the Action Mechanism Insights, the market is segmented into cell wall synthesis inhibitors, protein synthesis inhibitors, DNA synthesis inhibitors, RNA synthesis inhibitors, mycolic acid inhibitors, others.
- Cell wall synthesis inhibitors dominated the market in 2020 with a share of 52.1% and are anticipated to maintain their lead throughout the forecast period.
- Cell wall synthesis inhibitors are the most widely used antibiotics as they are characterized by a wide spectrum of action against gram-positive and negative bacteria.
- For instance, in February 2019, Bicycle Therapeutics announced the development of a novel cell wall synthesis inhibitor, after receiving a grant of USD 640,000 from the government of the U.K.
- For instance, in November 2018, Cosmo Pharmaceuticals N.V. introduced Aemcolo (rifamycin) as extended-release tablets for the treatment of Travelers’ Diarrhea in the U.S. Furthermore, the U.S. FDA granted Fast Track designations, Qualified Infectious Disease Product (QIDP) designation, and marketing exclusivity till 2028 for the product.
Based on the Drug Class Insights, the market is segmented into cephalosporin, penicillin, fluoroquinolone, macrolide, carbapenem, aminoglycoside, sulfonamide, 7-aca, others.
- Penicillin accounted for the largest share of 23.9% in 2020 and is expected to dominate the market over the forecast period due to maximum prescription and the largest number of generic manufacturers in the space. These drugs form the first line of choice in treating infections, such as pharyngitis, skin infections, bronchitis, gonorrhea, and ear infections.
- The cephalosporin and fluoroquinolone segments are expected to grow at a significant rate from 2021 to 2028. The growth of these segments can be attributed to the commercialization of new drugs during the forecast period.
- The others segment is expected to grow at the fastest rate in the coming years owing to the presence of novel therapies in the pipeline, which are expected to launch over the forecast period. This segment consists of various existing classes of antibiotics as well as some newly developed antibiotic drugs, such as tetracyclines, lincosamides, imidazoles, amphenicols, oxazolidinone, and combination drugs.
Antibiotics Regional Outlook
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East & Africa (MEA)
Key Companies Profile & Market Share Insights
Small and medium-sized biotech manufacturers are largely involved in the development of novel therapies and these companies market the products that are specifically targeting bacterial resistance mechanisms, while others include companies holding clinical-stage assets that are expected to enter in the near term.
Some prominent players in the global antibiotics market include
- Merck & Co., Inc.
- Allergan plc (AbbVie)
- GlaxoSmithKline plc.
- Pfizer Inc.
- Melinta Therapeutics
- Basilea Pharmaceutica Ltd.
- Tetraphase Pharmaceuticals
- Paratek Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Nabriva Therapeutics plc
- Spero Therapeutics
Order a free sample PDF of the Antibiotics Market Intelligence Study, published by Grand View Research.
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research, U.S.-based market research and consulting company, provides syndicated as well as customized research reports and consulting services. Registered in California and headquartered in San Francisco, the company comprises over 425 analysts and consultants, adding more than 1200 market research reports to its vast database each year. These reports offer in-depth analysis on 46 industries across 25 major countries worldwide. With the help of an interactive market intelligence platform, Grand View Research Helps Fortune 500 companies and renowned academic institutes understand the global and regional business environment and gauge the opportunities that lie ahead.
Corporate Sales Specialist, USA
Grand View Research, Inc.
Toll Free: 1-888-202-9519